Explore the variety of foods, drinks, and food cultures that span Latin America. This suitcase includes not various food items such as beans, coffee, nuts, and even Palmitos, but it also includes a variety of food-related items such as table cloths, yerba mate cups, mortar and pestles, and even a coffee maker. Explore similar items from different countries to examine the many similarities and differences or read up on recipes from St. Vincent!
Each Traveling Suitcase has lesson plans and creative ideas to help teachers utilize the suitcase in their classroom. Many of these plans have been contributed by prior lenders. If you develop a lesson plan or just have a few ideas that weren't included in the suitcase, email them to us at email@example.com.
- Lesson Plan: Latin American Food (Grades K-5)
- Lesson Plan: Latin American Food (Grades 8-12)
- Unit Plan: Latin American Food (Spanish Level 2)
- Rubric: Using Commands/The Cooking Show
- Scavenger Hunt: Foods and Fabrics in Latin America, Worksheet 1
- Scavenger Hunt: Foods and Fabrics, Worksheet 2
How to Borrow the Latin American Food Traveling Suitcase
- Submit a completed Lending Agreement by email or fax
- Request the Latin American Food Suitcase by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org – include the dates.
- Use the suitcase in your classroom. We will ship the suitcase to the address on your lending agreement free of charge. Take advantage of the included lesson plans and classroom ideas.
- Return your suitcase to the Center after two weeks. You or your school will be responsible for return shipping costs which generally cost between $25 and $30. Be sure that all the items are returned in their appropriate bags by checking off each item on the enclosed inventory form.
- Submit an evaluation form either in the suitcase or via email. Send us any lesson plans that you have developed beyond those already included for future teachers! Submitting these allow the suitcases to continue to develop and better serve your classroom!