The Latin American Business Environment (LABE) program serves academia, the general public and business community through publications, courses, career events, and speaking engagements. The primary publication is the annual Latin American Business Environment (LABE) report published since 2000. Below you can find the latest issue, along with other business related papers from LABE faculty and collaborators.
The 2022 edition incorporates sustainability and equity as vital factors in post-Covid recovery by presenting a series of case studies.
Ana Violato Espada
- Risner, M. & Spaine Long, S. (2020). Eds. “LSP Vectors: Strengthening Interdisciplinary Connections.” Special Issue in Global Business Languages.
- “Trump nods to Cuban exiles, rolls back ties: Experts React – Bad for Business?” The Conversation, June 16, 2017. William M. LeoGrande with Brian Gendreau.
- Risner, M., Swarr, M., Bleess, C. & Graham, J. (2017). Developing & Implementing LSP Curriculum at the K-12 Level in Long, M. (Ed.) LSP Studies: Contemporary Trends in Research and Curriculum Development. Georgetown University Press.
- Risner, M. & Egúsquiza, C. (2016). Preparing Students for the Global Workplace: The Relevance of Languages for Specific Purposes. In special issue: Focus on Intercultural Competence. Dimension.
- Risner, M. (2015). Topic of the Week-InterCom Newsletter-Making the Connection Between Language and Careers: K-12LSP.
- “What Castro’s death and Trump’s election mean for Cuba’s economic awakening.” The Conversation, December 14, 2016. Brian Gendreau.
- “Is there life after death for Puerto Rico?” The Huffington Post, July 3, 2016, and The Conversation, June 30, 2016. Brian Gendreau.
- “Can Puerto Rico escape its $72 billion debt trap and avoid Greece’s fate?" The Conversation, May 11, 2016. Brian Gendreau.
- “As Obama makes historic visit, is Cuba ready for change?" The Conversation, March 21, 2016. Brian Gendreau with William Messina, reprinted in Huffington Post and New Republic.com.
- Brazilians Working with Americans/Brasileiros que trabalham com americanos. Cultural Case Studies/Estudos de casos culturais, January, 2006. Orlando R. Kelm and Mary E. Risner.
- Video clips that accompany "Brazilians Working with Americans: Cultural Case Studies," By Orlando R. Kelm and Mary E. Risner.
- "The Business of Languages in the Classroom Today: A Model for K-12 Professional Development," Global Business Languages: Vol. 18, Article 10. Risner, Mary E. and Markley, Linda (2013).
Published LABE Reports for prior years available in PDF format for viewing:
- 2021 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2020 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2019 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2018 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2017 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2016 Latin American Business Environment Report
- 2014 Latin American Business Environment Report