Since our founding in 1930, the Center has been led by Directors whose service and legacies have shaped who we are. From the Institute of Inter-American Affairs to the School of Inter-American Studies to the Center of Latin American Studies, these are the Directors who have stewarded the discipline at the University of Florida:
1931 | The Institute of Inter-American Affairs held its first annual conference.
1951 | The Institute of Inter-American Affairs becomes the School of Inter-American Studies, officially offering the first MALAS degrees.
1962 | The SIAS was awarded Title VI funding and named a National Resource Center. It became the Center for Latin American Studies.
Honorary fund: A. Curtis Wilgus Graduate Fellowship
1964 | The first issue of The Latinamericanist was published.
1972 -1978 | The Secretariat of the Latin American Studies Association was headquartered at the Center.
Honorary fund: Wagley and Carter Endowed Fellowship Fund
The Center's first woman Director
Honorary fund: Safa Graduate Student Travel Endowment
1992 | The Bacardi Family Eminent Scholar Chair was established.
Honorary fund: McCoy Travel Scholarship Fund
1999 | After nearly two decades of activities and program development, the Tropical Conservation and Development Program was officially established with an endowment fund.
2001 | The Brazilian Music Institute was founded.
2004 | The Digital Library of the Caribbean was established.
2005 | The Alumni Board was founded.
Honorary fund: Carmen Diana Deere Director’s Fund
2010 | The Masters in Development Practice Program was established.
2011 | For its 80th anniversary, the Center received its historical marker on the Plaza of the Americas.
The Center's first director from Latin America, and the first alum to become Center Director
2021 | The Kislak Family Foundation Writer/Artist in Residence was established.