The Florida-Brazil Linkage Institute (FBLI) awards tuition exemptions for qualified Brazilian undergraduate students studying at Florida’s public community colleges or Brazilian graduate students studying at Florida’s public universities. For questions concerning our out-of-state tuition waiver program, please contact FBLI@latam.ufl.edu.
What is the program? The Florida Legislature has authorized each International Linkage Institute to grant exemptions of out-of-state tuition for up to 25 full-time equivalent (FTE) international students attending Florida’s public universities and community colleges. Each International Linkage Institute has developed its own criteria for selection of students. The Florida-Brazil Linkage Institute (FBLI) awards tuition exemptions for qualified Brazilian undergraduate students studying at Florida’s public community colleges or Brazilian graduate students studying at Florida’s public universities.
How many students does it support? The FBLI awards 25 waivers each year: approximately 20 to undergraduates and 5 to graduate students. These numbers may vary slightly from year to year based on the applicant pool and their qualifications.
How does it work? The tuition waiver program does not provide any funds to students or their educational institutions. Instead, recipients of the waiver receive a letter that they take to a designated official at their college (normally someone in International Student Services or at the Financial Affairs office) allowing the institution to waive the out-of-state tuition typically paid by foreign students. All recipients are still responsible for in-state tuition and any fees charged by their college.
How long will students be supported?
- Students are typically awarded waivers for one academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer).
- After one year of initial support, students must submit a renewal packet for subsequent support.
- Awards are given for a maximum of:
- Community College Students: Up to 15 credits per term for a total of six semesters.
- Graduate Students: Up to 12 credits per term for a total of six semesters.
- One semester or partial credit waivers may be awarded under special circumstances.
For additional information please email requests to FBLI Program Coordinator.
Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility guidelines:
- Brazilian citizens with F-1 or J-1 visa status.
- Must have been admitted to or enrolled as a full-time degree-seeking graduate student (MA/MS/LLM or Ph.D.) at a Florida state university OR a full-time 2-year degree-seeking community college student (AA/AS) at a Florida state community college.
- A 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Students must agree to return to Brazil for a period of time equal to the exemption period within three years of their completing undergraduate or graduate study.
- These areas of study and students are NOT eligible for the tuition waivers:
- Undergraduate students in Bachelor’s degree programs.
- Vocational or online degree programs
- Professional advanced degrees such as MD, JD, DVM.
- Some other degree types may not be covered.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) or English for Academic Purpose (EAP) classes.
- Community college students who receive an out-of-state tuition waiver and transfer to a Florida state university for a Bachelor’s degree are not eligible to continue receiving the waiver.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:
Priority will be given to renewal applicants remaining in good academic standing who meet the first deadline with complete renewal packets.
New applicants, applications will be evaluated based on:
- Academic merit.
- Statement of purpose, including stated career goals and ability to contribute to the Institute’s goals of promoting “business, educational, cultural and scientific exchange between Florida and Brazil.”
- Letters of recommendation.
- Applicants nearing completion of their degree program.
One must comply with all the required documentation and timing for the process. Through the FBLI tuition waiver program, if awarded, international tuition is waived, and your tuition cost is like any in-state student in any public cniversity in the State of Florida system. The FBLI is not a scholarship and evaluations are final.
If you are an Out-of-State Tuition Exemption recipient, you must comply with the following guidelines:
- After paying fees every semester: After paying your fees each semester, send the receipt to the Florida/Brazil Institute so we can verify you are being charged the appropriate tuition rate.
- If you receive a waiver but do not enroll: If for any reason you do not enroll for a term for which you have already received the waiver, notify the institute prior to the first day of classes for that term.
- At the end of each semester: Send an official transcript to the Florida/Brazil Institute, even if you are not planning to reapply for the following academic year. Recipients are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA while receiving the waiver.
- Report any changes in academic status: Report any changes of academic status, visa information, or contact information to the Institute.
- At the start of your last semester receiving a waiver: Contact the FBLI Team at FBLI@latam.ufl.edu at the start of your last semester receiving the waiver (either sixth term of funding or semester you are planning to graduate) to close out your file.
- Before completing or terminating your studies in Florida: Notify the Florida-Brazil Linkage Institute in writing of your plans to return to Brazil.