January 30, 2013
1. Do I need to submit via DSR with a signed DSR-1? No, you do not need a signed DSR1 at this stage. as per item 9.6.2 on the Call for Proposals, UF PIs should submit a copy of the proposal via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chamada FAPESP/UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA 2012” in the Subject Heading.
2. Item 8.4.11 of the Call for proposals states I need an “official document stating the formal commitment by UF to participate and guaranteeing the availability of the facilities and equipment to develop the project”. How do I get this document? This will be provided by the Director of the FBLI. Please send the title of your proposal, the name of the UF PI, and the name of the Brazilian PI to Dr. Emilio Bruna (email@example.com), who will reply with the letter. PLEASE REQUEST THIS LETTER WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE DEADLINE – proposals must be submitted to FAPESP via post (not the SAGe online system), and without this letter, they will not be accepted.
3. Item 8.4.12of the Call for proposals states I need an “official document stating agreement with the provisions of item 9 and 10 of the cooperation agreement, related to “Confidentiality” and “Intellectual Property Rights”, respectively.” How do I get this document? Your department chair can provide a letter stating that you “abide by the provisions of item 9 and 10 of the cooperation agreement between UF and FAPESP , related to “Confidentiality” and “Intellectual Property Rights’. (SEE A SAMPLE LETTER BELOW) The relevant passages from the UF-FAPESP collaborative agreement are below.
1.1 During the term of this Agreement and for a period of five (5) years thereafter, each Party will keep strictly confidential any information disclosed by the other Party which the disclosing Party identifies as confidential information (“Confidential Information”). The receiving Party will only use the Confidential Information in the performance of this Agreement.
1.2 Confidential Information does not include information that (i) is or becomes publicly available other than by breach of confidentiality by the receiving Party; (ii) is communicated to the receiving Party without any obligation of confidence by a third party who is not itself under any obligation of confidentiality; (iii) is already in the possession of the receiving Party, as evidence by written records; or (iv) is required to be disclosed by applicable law, regulatory authority, or court order.
1.3 Notwithstanding anything else herein, nothing in this Agreement shall prevent either Party from producing documents or disclosing information that is required by law (such as the Michigan Freedom of Information Act [FOIA]) or a valid production document (such as a warrant or subpoena).
1.4 This Article 9 shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement for the period stated in clause 9.1.
2. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
2.1 Nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as granting either Party any right, title, or interest in any of the other Party’s pre-existing Intellectual Property.
2.2 All new Intellectual Property arising out of a research project shall belong to the Party that created it.
To whom it may concern:
“This letter is to affirm that we will abide by the provisions of items 9 and 10 of the cooperation agreement between UF and FAPESP related to “Confidentiality” and “Intellectual Property Rights” for the purposes of the proposal entitled “TITLE” submitted by “UF RESEARCHER” and “BRAZILIAN RESEARCHER”.
4. BUDGET FORM: We are awaiting word from FAPESP as to if the budget should be submitted in Reais (as indicated on the budget sheet) or in US Dollars. Regardless, the amount is what is in the RFP – US$10K per year for each of the Brazilian and UF personnel). UPDATE: UF Researchers may use the budget forms available on the FAPESP website and fill them out in US Dollars.
5. RESEARCHER REGISTRATION FORM: We are awaiting word from FAPESP confirming that there is no English version of the researcher registration form. If there are blanks that are not relevant to US researchers (i.e., you may not have an RG or RNE number) please fill in N/A. UPDATE: you may fill out the forms on the FAPESP website (which are in Portuguese) in English.