Through support from the U.S. Department of Education, the Center for Latin American Studies offers Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year Fellowships to support training in Brazilian Portuguese and Haitian Creole.
For graduate students, the fellowship covers tuition and fees for 12 graduate credit hours per semester, provides a stipend of $17,000 total for the 2019-20 academic year (fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters), and includes United Health Care Insurance coverage.
For undergraduate students, the fellowship covers tuition and fees not already covered by other financial aid or scholarships (up to a maximum of $10,000 for the academic year) and provides a scholarship of $5000 total for the 2019-20 academic year ($2500 each for the fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters).
Applicants must be (or applying to become) full-time UF graduate or undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Undergraduate applicants must have at least intermediate proficiency in Portuguese or Haitian Creole. There is no proficiency requirement for graduate applicants. However, graduate students proposing to study a language at the beginning level must demonstrate that they already possess advanced proficiency in at least one other Latin American language. They should also address in their statement of purpose the reasons for studying the new language in connection to their academic and/or career goals.
Priority will be given to applicants pursuing a Master’s degree, graduate certificate, or undergraduate minor/certificate in Latin American Studies. Santa Fe College and University of Puerto Rico students are welcome to apply. Professional school students are also encouraged to apply. Applications are reviewed by the Center’s Financial Aid Committee.
Each semester, recipients must enroll in a minimum of 3 credit hours of Portuguese or Haitian Creole and at least 3 credits of Latin American area studies. Recipients are also required to take language proficiency exams and to complete online reports about their fellowship on a semester basis.
After the fellowship period is completed, recipients will complete a short survey about their job placement every two years.
February 1, 2019
To apply for a FLAS Academic Year Fellowship, please submit the following:
- FLAS Academic Year Fellowship Application
- Two-page statement of purpose describing how the study of Brazilian Portuguese or Haitian Creole and Latin American area studies will benefit your program of study and career plans
- One academic letter of recommendation accompanied by Release Form. For graduate students, the letter should be from your main adviser.
- One Language Recommendation Form
- Official UF academic transcript; new UF applicants may submit photocopies from previous universities or colleges
- Determination of Financial Need - FLAS Fellowship form -OR- copy of most recent FAFSA form (if submitted to UF for financial aid)
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Wanda Carter.
Wanda Carter, Academic Programs Assistant
Tel: (352) 273-4709
Fax: (352) 392-7682