The Center for Latin American Studies announces a competition to award two merit-based book scholarships of $500 per semester to UF students from Latin America and the Caribbean who are enrolled in the Latin American Studies Minor or Certificate Programs at the undergraduate, graduate level, or the MA program in Latin American Studies (MALAS).
The next competition will be for the Summer and Fall 2018 semesters.
Under Florida statute, section 1009.21 (10)(e), students from Latin America and the Caribbean who receive scholarships from the state or federal government qualify as Florida residents for tuition purposes. The Center's book scholarships will be funded from state and federal sources, thus making the awardees eligible for "in-state" tuition status.
The scholarships will be provided for a maximum of four semesters as long as the student maintains a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) and demonstrates progress towards fulfillment of the requirements for the Latin American Studies Minor, Certificate or MA program, as certified by Dr. Susan Paulson, the Center's Associate Director for Academic Programs.
Scholarship applications will be reviewed and ranked by a committee composed of Center for Latin American Studies faculty.
In order to apply for a book scholarship, students must:
- Be admitted or enrolled as a UF student in good standing
- Be enrolled in the MALAS program or the Latin American Studies Minor or Certificate Programs for undergraduate and graduate students
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Be an international student from Latin America or the Caribbean with an F-1 visa
- March 13 for Summer and Fall 2018
The following material must be included in all application packets:
- A copy of the student's Plan of Study for the Latin American Studies Minor, Certificate, or MA program.
- A one-page statement of purpose summarizing the student's academic interests and career objectives.
- One letter of recommendation from the student's adviser, accompanied by the Release Form
- A current official UF academic transcript, or for those not yet enrolled at UF, a transcript from high school or previous college.
Wanda Carter, Academic Programs Assistant
UF Center for Latin American Studies
319 Grinter Hall
PO Box 115530
Gainesville, FL 32611
Tel: (352) 273-4709
Fax: (352) 392-7682
For questions, please contact Dr. Susan Paulson, Associate Director for Academic Programs.